Dumb Test
Take the Dumb Test at Quiz Rocket.com! *****************************************

Friday, January 25, 2008

The Turning-Away

We do that a lot.




Let’s face it (yes, that contradicts the very premise of ‘turning-away’) we have our desk jobs, (courtesy which you are probably reading the blog right now), our daily chores (solving the mystery why Marlboro lights is a tad bit less smokier than Benson and Hedges) or the need to take some quality time-off (oh no yet another wrong umpiring decision against dada!). Life is after all a merry-go-round!

Thus faced with so many predicaments we often choose to turn away – from the musician who plays around the corner, from the march that urges to save Pune-tekdis, the empty seat next to a friend that beckons and on a more serious note the innumerable requests that crowd our mailbox to read and comment on blogs. We eventually TURN-AWAY from those requests.

We give them one chance – one miserly chance to prove their comprehension skills and their capabilities in expressing that. ‘Show your best or I am about to set my inbox filter’, we frown. But ‘they’ still hang on. They still keep trying, keep posting and keep mailing. Somewhat bitten by the guilt and to have ‘quality time’, I decide to pay them a second visit and probably a third. I rarely leave a comment (something worthwhile i.e.) and I move on.

I do not feel much as I seal the sentence for the writer’s thoughts (or cacophony of words) – a slow death.

Two blocks down Monroe from where I pass my time in oblivion these days, a musician plays his trumpet. Every morning, every evening – 6 days a week. An elderly man, cold, hazy eyes, an unshaved story of self-abuse. 4 days a week Tuesday to Friday, he so much as doesn’t even get a glance from the passer-bys although his music breaks the -22 degrees chill, stirs up an unnoticeable spring on one’s feet to the music but there is the hurry and people choose to ‘turn-away’. On weekends though, the story is a bit different. People stop to ask about his music, wait in the cold for him to finish his notes or just pass by dropping a dollar in his hat.

So before I seal the fate of my own blog by inviting the ‘turn-away’ phenomenon, should I wait for the weekends?



Disclaimer: My thoughts dictate my punctuation.

Photo (c): Durba Gupta

7 comments:

Unknown said...

you sent the request on a weekend :) but yes, lets think of why we turn away, its because someone turns away from us, when we do such things.. no one gives us a chance, we say, well, why should I care? Maybe, it will help standing and staring even if we are ignored.. maybe, we get noticed that way... worth a try, after all you should try different things all the time isnt it :D

Anonymous said...

Girl some observations...We do turn away from things/people/situations but that is our choice...It something that comes as naturally as hate towards certain things (wrong words I know...) Anyways the observations are just brilliant...Looking forward to more such writings...

Swati Gavde said...

Well I am not turning away from this one:) Nice one! Keep them coming!

Deepti said...

nice post durba .... looking forward to more of your writing ..

path to Hindu dharma said...

do u smoke? :)

path to Hindu dharma said...

quite contempative of u..Durba

Unknown said...

You know what I found interesting? The old man who comes everyday..even though its only weekends when people actually acknowledge and appreciate him.. And thats why I liked your post.. 'cause its a great example of how we can choose not to turn away... ... The old man doesn't turn away from playing his music.. he doesn't play because he wants others to appreciate him.. he plays because HE LIKES TO!!! And that's the message I take from your post :) Don't worry about others..Just do your thing :)
Love
Brinda.