Dumb Test
Take the Dumb Test at Quiz Rocket.com! *****************************************

Monday, September 29, 2008

Of hearsay and heartaches…




I do not know if he loved her. I do not know whether she loved him either. I’ve seen them talk and I have heard them shout, at each other. I am certain their daughter heard them too. It’s been quiet now for a while. All you hear are old Hindi and Bangla songs, mostly classics.

Jet-lagged my eyes strain to read the time – it’s 3 o’ clock in the morning. He plays ‘Saare rahain chalte chalte, yuhin koi mil gaya tha…’ I listen.

In their fights and shouts, they lived. The wife watered her plants and the husband took their daughter to the school. Like a child’s early crayon work – celebrated the first time, shown to the guests the second time and abandoned for the rest. Then one day, he saw her. In a family gathering. Her beauty enthralled him. His eyes followed her everywhere. He wanted to spend time with her and talk to her. She was his wife’s cousin. He asked his wife to invite her home.

‘Humein aur jeene ki chahat na hoti, agar tum na hote, agar tum na hote…,’ he changes the play list.

She came. To stay with them. He was happy. He took her out to the movies, to the restaurants, the zoo and to the shops. He talked to her, walked with her and spent time with her. He seemed to have forgotten his wife and daughter.

They did not.

Ten days later, she left. He was left alone in the house, with those whom he chose to forget.

The shouts resumed with more vigour. Birthdays were not spared either. The wife’s complaints and the husband’s crumbling justifications gnawed at each other. And then, they left too. The flower pots are gone. Empty parapet walls gather moss. The daughter, I hear, chooses to stay with the mother.

Kabhie alvida na kahena…kabhie alvida na kahena…’ now continues to break the silence of the night.
**************************

A long day at pujor bajar (shopping for Durga Puja) has left her exhausted. But her eyes glistened at the sight of her one-year-old. She emptied her bags and stared at the blue pujabi with white embroidery that she had got for her husband and smiled. He will like it, she thinks.

Married, “happily”, with a daughter, thoughts of the cousin, now separated from her husband, may cross her mind, every now and then. The songs, however, I am sure, escape her.
*************************
“It’s strange didibhai (sister). She is happily married with a daughter now and these two could not stay together!” lamented my ‘source’ today morning.

I wish, I only wish, things were so easy – that the cause if removed, erased all the pain, hurt, and gnawing.

Palkon ke jharokon mein tujhko bithakar…maat ho mere jaan udas…” the clock strikes 3:30. The dogs bark.
******************************
He sits there, in his room, in the big house playing songs as ode to someone who was never his. Sleep eludes him – probably life and love too, at this moment. But he will surely bounce back. Human spirit, I hear is indomitable.

He switches on the television. The bomb blasts continue. I must try and catch some sleep now. His collection is great. Tomorrow, I hope he plays, “Chokhe naamey brishti, bukey othe jhar je…” (aka: jaane keya baat hain, jaane keya baat hain…).
******************************

I can’t help if you find the songs too corny to be true. Believe me the songs played in this sequence as I kept on abusing the keyboard at the middle of the night. All characters are purely 100% unadulterated hearsay and are not at all figments of my imagination. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is probably not a mere coincidence.

11 comments:

Deepti said...

Sometimes waht seems Happy fro outside is all cracked up na .. you never know :)
Nice post

Anonymous said...

I never commented on your write-up though I read all, 'coz there is always an element of either humanitarian or emotional touch to it. and i personally feel the writings that touch your heart and make you feel for, needs no comment. These are to feel, just feel them.

keep the good work going. If i feel ever to criticize i will definitely do so.

Anup Mohan said...

yes...probably not a mere co-incidence......(i hope u understand what i am trying to say).....

Ayon said...

WOw..this is gr8 D !
Keep up the good work !

Anonymous said...

Awesome Durba, as usual.

I am really amazed at how carefully you observe the things around you and how beautifully you pen them down.

Great work :)
Gunjan

Unknown said...

common stuff....nicely written though!!

Anuradha Miraji said...

Good one, well written with the melodies - makes me want to know more!!!

Anonymous said...

No! No! No!! not 'you' at all! although it gets me thinking that this could actually be true. it's the making of a Hindi film!

Anonymous said...

3 in the morning / 3 during the day - for them, what is the difference...i salute you and your writing

Unknown said...

Durba, As usual a very good post!!! I liked these two lines a lot...
"I wish, I only wish, things were so easy – that the cause if removed, erased all the pain, hurt, and gnawing."
"But he will surely bounce back. Human spirit, I hear is indomitable."

Its amazing how you have not shown a negative attitude throughout though that is what I have seen people do in such writeups. As usual you have got a nice way to put things and leave your articles inconclusive, which makes them all the more interesting. However, it would be nice if you could put your perspective in some of them though...

Chaggoholic.... said...

Well odd and old playlist u hv. Typical of those road side tea joints playin at half past ten at night. Liked it the story and the flow....